Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog Day!

Groundhog Day Cupcakes

If you know me you probably know that I love to celebrate holidays and themes. I came across the idea for these cute little guys on Pinterest yesterday and knew right away that I wanted to make them. I realized that other than watching the movie "Groundhog Day" I haven't really ever done anything to celebrate. Not that there is much to do other than actually go to Punxsutawney, PA, which is on my bucket list by the way. Anyways, these cupcakes are simple and oh so adorable and seemed like the perfect way to celebrate.

The original ones I saw were made with white icing dyed green with a little food coloring and covered in green jimmies to look like grass. I decided to just go with a brighter green icing and I think I like the look better than the ones I had originally seen and they were easier to make!

Ingredients:
Devils Food Cake Mix (or your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
Green Icing
Teddy Grahams

As I stated above, these are super simple. Just follow the cake recipe and once the cupcakes are cool, you're ready to decorate. Start by icing them with the green icing. I started on the outer rim using a starburst looking tip and worked my way in. Next take a Teddy Graham and stick it in the middle of the cupcake so that just the hands and head are sticking up. Even though they're teddy bears, the heads look enough like groundhogs that it works. Finally, take a few Teddy Grahams and stick them in a ziplock bag. Crush them up into tiny crumbs. Then sprinkle the crumbs around each groundhog on the cupcakes. This gives it the effect of the dirt that would unearth when the groundhog pops up.

Once you're finished, you're all set to plop down on the couch and enjoy your groundhog cupcakes while watching Groundhog Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment