Monday, February 20, 2012

7 Days of Mardi Gras: Day 7: Happy Fat Tuesday!

Along with hurricane drinks, beads and masks, a kings cake is a classic symbol of Mardi Gras. Because of this, a classic kings cake was the obvious choice for the final day seven of my 7 Days of Mardi Gras. I've never attempted to make my own before and king's cakes sound a little complicated so I was delighted to find a king cake mix online. Mam Papaul's is straight from LA so I know it's legit.

Kings Cake


 Before getting started, here is a little history straight from the box:

Nancy Wilson has created this easy to prepare Mardi Gras King Cake using her grandmother's brioch recipe. Six years in the making, Nancy has applied her skill and knowledge as a home economist and teacher to simplify this recipe so that virtually anyone can be successful despite a lack of culinary skills. Enjoy the experience of baking your own "homemade" Mardi Gras King Cake and being able to say "I made it myself." The tradition of sharing cake with family and friends on the Epiphany or "Little Christmas" (January 6) began in the Middle Ages. Today, this date signifies the opening of the Mardi Gras season with parties and parades prior to Lenten Season. In New Orleans a pot of steaming coffee and a King Cake constitute a party. The baby in (under) the cake must host the next party, thereby, continuing social gatherings throughout the season. The colors of Mardi Gras signify the following:

PURPLE signifies justice
YELLOW signifies power
GREEN signifies faith

 The box of mix contains:
1 pk. dough mix and reclosable mix knead bag
1 pk. yeast - small packet
1 pk. brown sugar praline filling mix
1 pk. white glaze mix
3 pks. Mardi Gras sugar crystals
1 pk. Mardi Gras baby (the baby in my box was missing a hand!)


 Additional ingredients needed:
1 cup hot water
1 egg
1 stick butter or margarine

The following instructions and steps are laid out on the back of the box.


Mix and knead in bag

1 Place cake mix in (large bag) and yeast in reclosable bag. Lock bag and shake well. Add 1 cup hot water, and 1/2 cup butter to contents of large bag. Press air from bag and lock. With fingers outside bag, mix by squeezing and pulling dough until butter can no longer be seen.

2 Add 1 egg to contents of bag. Press air from bag and lock. With fingers on outside of bag, mix and knead ingredients by squeezing and pulling dough for approximately 15 minutes. (Be careful not to puncture bag)- I found that I didn't need the whole 15 minutes, more like 5-10.

3 Unlock bag. Set bag of dough in a bowl in a warm place until dough has doubled in size (about 30 minutes). Warm Place: Turn oven to lowest setting for 2 minutes then turn oven off.

Shape and Rise

1 Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Flour rolling pin and roll dough into 5" x 30" rectangle. (I found that to be longer than I  could manage, I didn't have a rolling pin either so I used an empty wine bottle.) Mix 2 tablespoons melted butter with brown sugar praline mix. Add nuts, if desired (I didn't.) Spread evenly over dough. From 30" side, roll dough jelly roll fashion. Pinch edges to seal. (Again I had a little trouble with this step, I did the best I could)

2 Place on large cookie sheet. Shape into oval. Let rise in a warm place approximately 30 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.

Bake and Decorate

1 Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until nicely browned. Cool.

2 Mix 1 tablespoon water with white glaze mix. (I discovered I needed a little more than a tablespoon of water, probably closer to 3) Spread on top of cooled cake. Decorate with colored sugar crystals.

Finally you're supposed to hide the baby in or under cake somewhere. I also added some beads and coins for flare.





No comments:

Post a Comment