Friday, April 6, 2012

Eight Days of Easter: Day 6

For day six of my Eight Days of Easter: Peeps Edition, I decided to experiment with something a little random. I saw a recipe for Peep Mousse on Pinterest and it caught my interest (and no I didn't mean for that to rhyme.) I'm not sure if my turned out quite right, I used heavy cream instead of whipping cream, I never really got a solid answer on the difference between those two. You can use bunnies or chicks and in any color. It makes the most sense to have your sugar or sprinkles match the color of the Peeps you use.


Ingredients:
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
10 Peeps marshmallow candies
Sparkling sugar or sprinkles for dusting

Heat ½ cup of the cream in a large saucepan over medium heat. Drop in the Peeps and stir until melted and smooth.  Leave the melted Peep base to cool, stirring occasionally.  The mixture will separate, but will come back together with stirring.

When the Peep base is cool, whip the remaining 1 cup of cream until stiff peaks form.  Drop a large spoon full of the cream into the Peep base and stir to combine.  Gently fold in the remaining cream in two batches until everything is combined and evenly colored.  If you want, spoon the mousse into 4 small bowls, cover the top with plastic wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.

Serve sprinkled with decorative sugar and a Peep on top.

I was a little worried that mine was too runny and not a mousse like substance but after it chilled over night, it firmed up quite nicely. I tried a spoonful and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I also tried dipping a couple strawberries in it, it makes a delicious fruit dip! I give this two thumbs up for sure. I wouldn't eat a whole bowl of it but split up into tiny portions or used as a dip, A+!

No comments:

Post a Comment