Wednesday, December 7, 2011

25 Days of Christmas: Day 7

On day 7 of my 25 Days of Christmas challenge, I decided to make a "gingerbread" house out of graham crackers. I found this idea on Pinterest and thought it was really cute. There are a lot of gingerbread house kits out there but this is an affordable way to make multiple houses without buying kits for everyone. You can make a village or use this for parties so everyone can make their own! For me I already bought a kit for a bigger one so this one might just be a cute dog house for Chloe!

Supplies Needed:
Graham crackers
White icing
Candy (I used mini candy canes)
Red and green writing icing (for additional flare)
Butter knife

This is so simple. All you really need are the graham crackers and white icing. The candy and additional colored icing is just to make it more fun!

I started by laying down some press and seal on my table to work on. Then I laid out and cut the graham crackers I would need with the butter knife; gently saw two pieces for the sides (cut about a fourth off each side piece), two pieces for the ends (cut to make a triangle at the top) and two pieces for the roof (leave whole).

Once you have all your pieces, you just need to construct your house using white icing to keep the "glue" everything together. You can decide what order works best for you.

Finally, after you have your house constructed, use your additional icing and candy to decorate it. I "painted" the roof white with the additional white icing and made cute heart shingles with the mini candy canes. I also added a door with the white icing and gave it a red knob and put a green wreath with red ribbon on it. I then made two green triangle windows.


Clean up was as easy as setting the house aside, putting away the extra ingredients, and peeling the press and seal off of the table. A few crumbs and sprinkles were left on the table but were easily solved with a wet paper towel!

I used a piece of scrap Christmas paper left from my advent calendar to display the house on, how cute does it look?




No comments:

Post a Comment