Thursday, May 31, 2012

Ton Ten: Trailers

It's been a while since I've done a Top Ten on my blog, in the past I've done TV & Movie Wedding Proposals and Music Videos. I was recently inspired to do this blog based on the trailer for the new mini-series that the History Channel just aired, Hatfields & Mccoys. I'm not sure if a love of theatrical trailers is common or if it's just me, but I have always had a thing for them. The purpose of trailers are to get you to want to watch the movie but I also like watching them after I've seen a movie, a weird quirk I suppose. When DVDs first came out, one of the few "Special Features" on them was the theatrical trailer for that movie. I always loved watching them after I finished watching the movie. I thought it was a great summary of what I had just seen.

Every once in a while though, a trailer comes along that is so awesome, not only does it make me want to see the movie and is a great summary for me after I've just seen something, but I also just enjoy watching it over and over again like listening to your favorite song. These are a special few trailers that have the perfect combination of quotes, action, and of course, the perfect song that ties in perfectly with the emotion of what you're watching. Cutting the perfect trailer is truly a work of art, you need to give just enough to grasp people's interest while not giving too much away.

Here is a list of my top ten trailers, in no particular order:

I'll start with my newest obsession, Hatfields & Mccoys on History Channel. For those that aren't familiar, Hatfields & Mccoys is a 3 part mini-series that just aired the past 3 nights. This trailer has the perfect recipe to make me want to watch over and over. I'm not even a big history buff but it led to me really getting into this mini-series. Everything from the quotes to the action to the eerie song in the background is perfection.



Another trailer that I have always loved is for the movie 300. This movie is amazing and the trailer truly embodies the passion and action that the movie is filled with.



I'm not sure I can remember being as excited for a movie as I was for Across the Universe after seeing the theatrical trailer. I love musicals but this movie was so much more than that. It took the Beatles music and made it into a masterpiece and the trailer is the perfect taste.



Tristan and Isolde is another one of my all time favorite movies. The trailer is amazing but may give away a little too much before you see the movie but it's a great summary.



Another new trailer that I fell in love with is for The Client List, a tv show on Lifetime. It's more of a music video but I actually saw this in the theater as a preview for the show. Jennifer Love Hewitt looks amazing and it's the perfect tease, it got me intrigued about the show but doesn't really give much away to what it's really about.



For anyone that grew up with Winnie the Pooh, Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know" is the perfect song to go along with this trailer. It's just such a touching song that floods your heart with warm happy memories which is exactly what Winnie the Pooh is all about.



61* is definitely one of my all-time favorite movies. Being a huge baseball fan and Yankees fan, I'm passionate about the story and I think Billy Crystal and HBO did a fantastic job with the movie. Again, this trailer is just the perfect tease and summary all in one of what the movie is all about.



While Dear John isn't one of my favorite movies, it changed too much from the book for me, it's still one of my favorite trailers. Like I said, the movie changes too much from the book including the ending but the trailer doesn't show those changes so the trailer is like a video summary of the book for me. It gives me a hopeful glimpse of what the movie should have been without the disappointing changes.



We Are Marshall's trailer gives me goosebumps and tears in my eyes at the same time. But that's what makes it so good. It's another true story but I think the movie did a great job showing what happened to their town and their school and the trailer just goes along with that in an amazing way.


WE ARE MARSHALL: Movie Trailer. Watch more top selected videos about: Huntley Ritter, Movie Trailers


Getting down to picking a final trailer can be tough but I feel confident in Crash being my final choice. I love movies that can connect people's lives by one incident. The trailer really connects with the audience by saying "we are all searching for something" like we are affected just like the characters. Truly moving.



No comments:

Post a Comment