Saturday, May 5, 2012

5 Days of Tacos and Tequila: Day 5

Mint Julep Margarita

Day five of my 5 Days of Tacos and Tequila, this the day of Cinco De Mayo, also happened to fall on the same day as the Kentucky Derby. As most people know, a Mint Julep is the famous drink of the Kentucky Derby and a Margarita is the famous Cinco De Mayo drink. Which to choose when they fall on the same day? Why not put the two together and enjoy a Mint Julep Margarita! A pin on Pinterest gave me the idea but led me to instructions without measurements. I decided to take the original idea and make it my own by taking a few characteristics from how a real Mint Julep is made and combining it with the lime juice and tequila aspect of a margarita. Below is what I came up with.

Ingredients (for one drink)
2 tablespoons of Simple Syrup
Fresh mint leaves
1 oz of tequila
1 oz of whiskey
Lime juice from half a lime

Step 1: Start by muddling cut up fresh mint leaves in the Simple Syrup

Step 2: Mix all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake.

Step 3: Salt the rim of a margarita glass filled with ice and pour over. Garnish with a slice of lime and fresh mint sprig.

I think this is a nice refreshing twist on a classic Margarita. I'm not sure if I've ever had a Mint Julep before so I have nothing to compare that half of the drink too. This was the perfect combo drink for the Kentucky Derby and Cinco De Mayo though!

*When making two drinks, I recommend making one at a time in the shaker or you can just double the recipe from the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment