Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Egg McMuffins

I found this idea on Pinterest and immediately decided that I must give it a try. I'm always searching for new dinner ideas but sometimes I forget to spice up my breakfast and lunch options as well. The original appeal of these was that you make a bunch and then freeze them so you have a quick breakfast for on the go which is perfect for me. After actually making them though, the freezer plan may not be the best. Allow me to explain after I go through the recipe and steps with you.

Ingredients Needed:
Cooking spray
6 or 12 eggs
6 or 12 whole wheat english muffins (you can use regular ones as well)
6 or 12 pieces of canadian bacon/ham/sausage
6 or 12 small pieces of your favorite cheese (I used cracker slices of pepper jack, if you use sandwich slices, use 1/2 a slice)

I haven't really experimented with cooking eggs much beyond scrambled but it would have never occurred to me how to go about cooking an egg to go on a sandwich. For these, all you need to do is a muffin tin. Depending on the size of your muffin tin, you can make 6 or 12.

Step 1: Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Then start by lightly greasing your muffin tin.
Step 3: Crack an egg into each compartment in your tin.
Step 4: Next place the tin in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Step 5: While your eggs are cooking, break apart your english muffins and place them in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Place them in the oven on the top rack for about 10 minutes so they are lightly toasted.
Step 6: Once your eggs are done, assemble your "McMuffins" using the english muffin, egg, a slice of cheese and a slice of your choice of meat.
Step 7: If you're going to eat these right away, stick the assembled ones back in the oven for about 10 minutes, just enough for the cheese to melt and the meat to get warm. Enjoy!
Step 8: If you're going to freeze them, place a cookie sheet with the assembled sandwiches in the freezer for about an hour. If you wrap them up right away, they will lock in too much moisture in the freezer. After an hour take out the cookie sheet and stick the individual sandwiches in zip lock baggies.  If you only made 6, you can also just stick them in the fridge, just make sure you eat them within a week.

Tips for reheating:
  • You can reheat in the microwave for a quick meal, just know your bread might get a little soggy. I'd guess 1:45, about the time of a hot pocket.
  • If you reheat the frozen ones in the oven, preheat your oven to 350 again and cook for 25 minutes.
  • If you reheat refrigerated ones, I'd estimate 10 minutes in a 350 oven.
I had two for "breakfast for dinner" when I first made these. They were delicious! The pepper jack cheese was a nice touch of flavor to the egg and canadian bacon. I also have tried one reheated in the oven. I originally thought that 25 minutes in 350 sounded too long so I tried a shorter amount of time in 250 and the middle was still frozen so I then cranked the oven up to 350. I think next time I'll just stick to the original plan. They were good reheated in the oven but it definitely wasn't quick. I'll probably try one in the microwave just to see how it goes. I made 12. That involved buying 2 packs of english muffins and 2 packs of the canadian bacon. I have since purchased a 6 tin muffin tin, I'll probably do that next time and not freeze them.

I forgot to take pictures so this post is picture-less. I'll definitely make these again though and take pictures next time. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment