Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cleaning out the Cabinets: Amaretto Edition

So in the spirit of keeping my apartment more organized (see my resolutions), I think it's important sometimes to clean out the cabinets. Food is something that I hate to waste but it happens to everyone, your cabinets, fridge and freezer get full and things get pushed back and end up expiring before you use them. Sometimes you just have to go through and plan meals to use up things that you've had for a while. The same can go for liquor. While liquor doesn't really expire, or if it does it can last for years, it's still important to clean out the "cabinet" every once in a while. If you like to try unique kinds or different drink recipes and have a boyfriend who works at a liquor store like I do, you can find yourself with a lot of bottles taking up space. I decided I wanted to start getting rid of some bottles to keep my "bar" looking neater and not so cluttered. It made the most sense to start with some bottles that are close to being finished.

I have this one bottle of amaretto that I bought to try in a drink recipe for my birthday years ago. Amaretto is one of those things that I don't think goes with a lot so I always have trouble finding ways to use it. I decided to look up some drink recipes the other day that include amaretto. I found a site that had a million options. I made a note of a few that I had all the ingredients for and decided to give one a try. What I landed on was a Blue Cloud Drink.


 Ingredients:
1 oz Amaretto
1/2 oz Blue Curacao
2 oz Vanilla Ice Cream

Top with whipped cream and a cherry (I didn't have cherries so I used jimmies!)

I thought this seemed like a yummy dessert drink, perfect for after dinner. All you do is mix all of the ingredients (minus the toppings) in a blender. Pour in a glass and top with whipped cream and a cherry and or jimmies. This is a fun looking drink and tastes pretty good. I thought the amaretto was a little strong, I might adjust the measurements if I made it again. I think with the whipped cream and sprinkles it would be fun to serve at a birthday party!

I only had one drink so I still had some amaretto left. After a failed experiment trying to make a chocolate cherry shot, I ended up just making an amaretto and Diet Pepsi with a lime twist. It was delicious and I wish I had thought of this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment