Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DIY Halloween Costume Ideas: Unicorn

I've always loved unicorns. The Last Unicorn used to be one of my favorite movies when I was younger. Last year I decided that I really wanted to try and do a unicorn costume this year. I figured I could put something together on my own if I could just find a headband with a horn on it. I actually think I found a "how to" in a magazine to make your own horn but I misplaced the pages I cut out. Luckily, Hot Topic had a decent collection of "costume kits" this year which come with accessories and they had a unicorn kit! The kit included a headband with a horn and ears, a tail and rainbow wrist cuffs. The headband had rainbow ribbons and a rainbow bow was on the tail. I also found a unicorn kit at Spirit Halloween but it was all white. I liked the rainbow accents on the Hot Topic one and also the fact that the tail had silver glitter in it so I went with that one. This basic accessory kit was a great way to start the costume and it was easy from there.

The Goal: A Unicorn
Supplies Needed:
Horn - I used a headband that had a horn and ears from a unicorn kit, you could potentially make your own using paper to make a cone and painting it
Tail - I also used a costume kit for this but you could easily make your own out of fake fur fabric or an idea I had before I found the kit was to make one out of colorful yarn
White outfit - White shorts/skirt/pants/leggings/tights and a white top or a white dress - glitter/sequince/sparkles are encouraged, I went with white shorts and a white sequin tank top
Accessories - leg warmers, wrist cuffs, ribbons or colored extensions in your hair make nice final touches, my accessory kit came with rainbow wrist cuffs, the headband had rainbow ribbons on it and I purchased some white and silver glitter furry leg warmers which were perfect, I also wore silver sequin flip flops

While I used the accessory kit, this costume would still be pretty easy to put together yourself without it. I loved the leg warmers, I thought they were a perfect addition to the costume and really pulled it together from head to toe. The Hot Topic unicorn kit was perfect because the tail matched the leg warmers with the silver sparkles and the rainbow accents with the ribbons, in the ears and on the wrist cuffs were a great way to step away from too much white. I actually owned the white shorts and tank top so there was no extra cost there. I didn't have much time to get ready because I did this costume on a busy day but I probably would have tried to do something rainbow with my nails and maybe painted a rainbow or star on my cheek with more time. I definitely think I'll do this costume again sometime, maybe change up the actual outfit but re-use the accessories.

No comments:

Post a Comment