Wednesday, October 5, 2011

DIY Halloween Costume Ideas: Ke$ha

So Ke$ha is probably one of the easiest and most fun "do it yourself" Halloween costumes out there. She has so many different looks that you can get as simple or as crazy as you want with it. This is definitely one of those that you could get away with using items you already own, assuming you own some Ke$ha inspired pieces of clothing and some glittery makeup. If not, you can go on a black, glitter infested shopping spree and find some really fun stuff. When planning my costume, I basically just searched Ke$ha google images and drew inspiration from a variety of her looks.

The Goal: Ke$ha


Supplies Needed:
Feathers
Body glitter
Glitter eyeliner
Ripped leggings
Black t-shirt/Frayed black or grey shorts/skirt or a "trashy-couture" style black dress
Unique black boots - thinks studs, glitter, skulls
Scrunch hair gel
Lots of rings, necklaces, bracelets, feather earrings, fake nose ring
Fun prop ideas: Microphone or headset, bottle of vodka

I started by looking for Ke$ha inspired pieces. Before I had decided to officially be Ke$ha, my friend and I had found these black skull booties at Hot Topic that had beaded black skulls on them and the zippers had little silver skulls. They were peep toe booties and super cute, I think they helped me decide to be Ke$ha because I needed a reason to get them! I also found a pair of grey frayed shorts on clearance that I decided to incorporate into my look as well as some chunky silver body glitter. Shortly after that, we happened to go to Deb where I found a pair of ripped up black leggings and a black t-shirt with angel wings cut out in the back. I also found a couple of necklaces, one a bunch of black and silver chains and the other an angel wing with rhinestones along with silver and black rhinestone bangle bracelets. Deb had some buy 2, get 1 deal going on with their jewelry so it worked out well to get all 3! After I had the basic outfit, I went to Ulta in search of glittery eye makeup and found a few potential options. My original plan was to try and do one of Ke$ha's extreme eye make up looks like her Clockwork Orange inspired dripping eye but I'm not talented enough as a make-up artist to pull that off so I just went for heavy glitter eyeliner and body glitter all over. I also used black eyeliner to draw $ all over my arms and chest as I have seen Ke$ha do in pictures. I also went for the one feather earring looks which she does a lot. I don't have pierced ears but was able to find peacock feather clip on earrings at Claire's. I also bought a silver sparkly microphone and a set of clip on body jewelry at a Halloween store. I used the microphone as a fun prop and used one of the clip on rings as a fake nose ring. I had to bend a piece of it back because it was so tight it hurt my nose but it worked out well with my adjustment. Finally my cousin was able to use some hair gel to scrunch my hair and make it look wavy, a signature Ke$ha style. You can see the results below, I wish I had been able to go a little more extreme with the eye makeup, but other than that, I was very happy with the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment