Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Apartment Hunting

Lately I have been considering moving. When I first moved here, I came from Virginia and had two weeks to move after finding out I had gotten the job I was interviewing for. This didn't really give me much time to choose a place and I think all together I only looked at 3 or 4 places. Also, since I work in Jersey but wanted to live in PA, I really didn't know the area that well or even know where to look. I was given a couple options from someone from work and I ended up just picking my favorite out of the three places I looked at. Along with a first month free deal, my decision was set. Now I am currently in my second lease with this place and the main reason I even stayed a second year was because I didn't have time to seriously look elsewhere. That mixed with the thought of how much trouble moving would be, I just decided it was easier to sign a new lease. Of course the lease ended up going up $25 in the second year so who knows, it will probably go up again. This year I am definitely motivated to see what else is out there. Since my lease isn't up until April, I have a couple months to explore my options and see if something is a better fit.

Currently I live at Hidden Forest Apartments and it is a nice place. I like the layout of the apartment and it has most of the ammenities that one would need. It is a one bedroom with decent closet space but I still feel like it is crowded. Following in the footsteps of the great Rory Gilmore, I hope that some pros and cons lists will ultimately help me make my decision. I'll start with where I live now.

Pros:
Good Location
Already live there so wouldn't have to worry about security deposit/pet deposit
Washer/Dryer
Dishwasher
Wouldn't have to worry about the trouble and costs of moving
FIOS

Cons:
Unbearably hot in the summer due to being on the second floor and only 2 window AC units
No utilities are included in the rent
No fitness center
Small pool/the hot tub has been broken since I lived there
Difficult neighbor
Sharing an entrance with difficult neighbor
Small washer/dryer (not full sized)
Feels crowded

So aside from the list of cons, I am also just ready for a change. Sometimes you just reach that point. I guess 2 years is the maximum I've lived somewhere other than the home I grew up in so maybe that's just me. In college I lived in a dorm for a year, then a 3 bedroom apartment for a year, then a 4 bedroom apartment for 2 years.

Recently I've been doing online research for housing options around the area. I definitely want to stay within 30 minutes of my work, but aside from that, I'm open to exploring new areas. As much information as there is out there online, I still think you really can't get a feel for a place without visiting it and seeing it in person. Last night I visited my first new option: Village of Pennbrook. The thing I liked most about this place was their multiple floor plan options and it seemed like many of the options were potentially in my price range. Each model did have a range of prices which I guess depends on what ammenities are included which makes sense. Basically it had potential, so I needed to visit and check it out. I made an appointment and when I arrived the woman I met with was very friendly. First she took me through their very nice fitness center and showed me the pool area even though it's obviously covered in snow right now. Then she showed me a one bedroom with a den model and a two bedroom model. Both were great. They were very spacious, had nice kitchens, decent closet space, etc. After viewing the apartments, we went and sat down to discuss numbers. I was shocked by a few "hidden fees" that she mentioned. I will include those in my pro/con list.

Pros:
Nice location
Fitness center
Very spacious apartments
Washer/Dryer option
Either den or extra bedroom for more space
Linen closet
Spacious Kitchen
Private Entrance
Personal Mailbox
Central AC
Cons:
No utilities included
About $100 more a month for washer/dryer
$5/month per car for parking
$250 recreation fee for first year, $50 after that
High pet deposit/high monthly pet fee

Ok so when looking at this pro con list, it seems that the pros might outweigh the cons, except for the fact that the cons are BIG cons. Let me explain further. The price all together including the pet fee is within my price range, but the price range I'm looking at would include at least some utilities. Since no utilities being included is a big con at my current place, I don't see why I would want to find another place with the same issue. I mean the apartments seemed great, but ultimately probably a little out of my price range when all is said and done. But aside from all of that, even if I could handle the price, the "hidden fees" I mentioned above are a little ridiculous. While unfortunate, a washer and dryer being so much more a month makes sense. The other fees though are unacceptable just based on principal alone not to mention cost. To have to pay for parking is absurd for an apartment complex that has plenty of parking. I could understand in the city to pay for garage parking or something but while a minimum fee, it's unacceptable to have to pay extra for parking in a complex in the suburbs. Along those same lines but not so minimal, the $250 recreational fee for use of the fitness center in pool is also unacceptable. Those things should be included in the rent, no ifs, ands or buts about it! So ultimately I don't think I'd even consider this place just based on principal alone. Who knows maybe all the places will be like this and I will end up going back here but either way, it was great for a first stop on my housing journey and I look forward to visiting my next stop tonight. Stay tuned!

1 comment: