Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Apartment Hunting Part 2

So my second apartment complex I checked out was Middletown Trace Apartments. A couple of initial positives about this complex was that it included some utilities and didn't cost extra monthly for a pet. It still had the non-refundable pet deposit, but any complex is going to have that. So looking at their layouts and price ranges, I was interested in their one bedroom with a den which they have named a 2 bedroom junior. The price was slightly over what I was looking for but not by much so it was definitely do-able with utilities being included. I showed up and she basically handed over a key and pointed me in the right direction of where the model apartment was. It was interesting because normally they take you over there but it was nice to take my time and look around without feeling like I was holding her up. So here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
Utilities included (except electric and cable/internet)
Very spacious
Linen closet
Full size washer/dryer
Walk in closet in the bedroom
Spacious kitchen
FIOS available
First floor has extra storage space
Decent location
Like the extra space with the den
No monthly rent for pet
Low security deposit with renter experience
Private entrance

Cons:
Slightly over price range but only by $20
After really liking the den, found out there was a waiting list for 1 bedroom with den
High pet deposit but ends up being a better deal due to no monthly rent
Kitchen appliances are not updated
Ugly cabinets in kitchen and bathroom

Ok so I definitely think the pros outweigh the cons on this one. The biggest problem is that I'd really like the one bedroom with a den but found out after viewing the model that there is a wait list for that. In order to get on the waitlist you'd have to fill out all the paperwork and application fees, etc. I wasn't ready to make that kind of comittment plus you still wouldn't be guaranteed one. The other cons are pretty minor; the higher price would be cancelled out with the one bedroom and the high pet deposit is cancelled out by not having an extra monthly fee. Then of course the ugly cabinets are not a make or break deal. I definitely liked this place enough to consider their 1 bedroom even without the den. It would be more affordable and the apartment still seemed pretty spacious. I will definitely keep them on my list of maybes.

No comments:

Post a Comment