Thursday, February 7, 2013

6 Days of Hearts and Hurricanes: Day 4


For day four of my 6 Days of Hearts and Hurricanes, I combined two "Cajun" themed recipes, red beans and rice and "Grilled New Orleans-Style Shrimp" to make my own concoction. The only thing missing was the cornbread! 

Red Beans & Rice Ingredients:

2 cups red beans or pinto beans canned or dried cooked (I used dry small red beans)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic

2 cups cooked rice to package instructions ( I used whole grain brown rice)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
dash of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste


Step 1: Cook the rice and beans separately, according to the package. If you have time I recommend cooking the beans in advance, either a day before or have them slow cook all day.

Step 2: Saute cooked beans in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of minced garlic.

Step 3: Add cooked rice in a bowl with the beans toss with all seasonings, add olive oil, blend together.

The shrimp recipe I had was for 1 1/2 lb of large shrimp. I had about two dozen medium size shrimp so I had to edit the recipe a little so edit measurements based on how many shrimp you have.


Grilled New Orleans-Style Shrimp Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb large shrimp (21 to 25 per lb) (I used 2 dozen small shrimp)
2 tablespoons olive oil (I didn't measure the olive oil)
3 medium garlic cloves, minced (I used about 2 cloves)
3/4 teaspoon salt (I think I stuck with this same amount since you use it divided)
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter (I used 3 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons chili powder (I used 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons black pepper (I didn't measure this)
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (I used 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (I think I stuck with 1 tablespoon)

Step 1: Toss shrimp with oil, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and marinate at cool room temperature 15 minutes.

Step 2: While shrimp marinate, prepare grill for cooking. I live in an apartment so I only have a George Foreman.

Step 3: Heat butter, chili powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until butter is melted, then remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.

Step 4: Thread 4 or 5 shrimp onto skewers and grill, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over once, until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes total. Push shrimp off skewers into a bowl, then pour butter mixture over them and toss to combine well. (I didn't use skewers on the foreman, just tossed the shrimp on and closed it, cooking them for about 3 minutes)

I dished up two bowls of rice and beans and then divided up the shrimp evenly between the two bowls. Finally I poured the remaining butter mixture over the bowls. The shrimp definitely had a fantastic flavor and was the best part about this meal. The rice and beans were good but didn't have a powerful taste. I have plenty of rice and beans left but no more shrimp so I'll have to think of something else to add to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment