Saturday, February 2, 2013

6 Days of Hearts and Hurricanes: Day 2


For day two of my 6 Days of Hearts and Hurricanes, I made a Hibiscus Hurricane.  I took a classic New Orleans Hurricane recipe and replaced the passion fruit syrup with hibiscus syrup. 

Ingredients:
2 oz light rum
2 oz hibiscus syrup
1 oz lime juice
1 cup lemon-lime soda (or 8 oz bottle)
1 oz 151 rum (I only had 100 spiced rum so I used that)
Ice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker except the 151 rum. Shake and pour into a hurricane glass. Float the 151 on top. Garnish with a cherry (mine floated to the bottom for the picture but it's in there.) If you have edible hibiscus flowers, it would be fun to garnish with one of those as well. 

Note: Shaking a carbonated beverage in a cocktail shaker can prove dangerous, the recipe I was basing this drink off of included the soda in the cocktail shaker but if I make this again I would shake the other things, then add the soda after pouring it into the glass then use a cocktail stirrer.

A quote about this drink: "This is the Classic N'awlins Hurricane. Drink through a straw from the bottom first. It starts out calm, but it gets stormy towards the end!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment