Monday, June 11, 2012

Sampleicious: Birchbox Edition: May & June Boxes


As is typical in the life of someone who works in baseball, my spring and summer have been hectic. I had no doubts that I would get behind on my blogging and I have. Below see what I received in my May and June Birchboxes. 

I was so busy that I didn't even get pictures of the products in my May box. I remember opening it but aside from that I don't think I've done much with it. I'll list the products and then I'll have to update with reviews and pics. 

List of products:

In honor of their season finale, this Birchbox was a special "Gossip Girl" edition so even though it had a couple less products, they might be bigger samples, fancier or more expensive than a typical box. I'm not really sure. 

First up is a sample of Arquiste Flor y Canto perfume. It runs for $165.00 for a 55 ml bottle so I'd say that's fancy and expensive. Birchbox describes it as long lasting with floral notes. I thought it smelled nice but not my favorite, and for that price, you'd have to love it!

Next up is Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream. I've heard of this brand before but not sure if I've actually used it. I've never had a need for a really good hand cream, my hands don't get too dry, so spending $19 on a tube of this probably wouldn't be in my budget. But for those that work in food or the medical field where they have to wash their hands all the time, something nice and powerful might be ideal. Birchbox describes it as having an appealing fruity scent thanks to it's botanical ingredients, ultra-concentrated and it even reduces fine lines on your hands. They also say that one tube will last for months, even if you use it multiple times a day. Maybe I'm changing my mind about the $19 being worth it...

Birchbox seems to be pretty consistent with putting one full size product in most boxes. For May it was the FusionBeauty LIpFusion Balm Lip Conditioning Stick SPF 15. Wow that was a mouthful! Thankfully the product is meant to condition your lips so you can handling saying it's long name. At $22 a stick, what a great deal it was for Birchbox to include this in their monthly $10 box! I'm always excited about a moisturizer lip balm that makes your lips soft and an SPF is a great bonus!

Finally for the May box, there was Ojon damage reverse Restorative Conditioner. Another small mouthful but this product is strictly for your hair! A conditioner isn't as easily sampled as a perfume, lotion or lip balm so I didn't try this at all yet. Birchbox says this is a daily deep conditioner that works on all hair types. It makes your hair stronger and healthier overtime. If it works, $25 is a very reasonable price for a salon quality conditioner. 

As a bonus, a  cute notecard was also included in my box. I don't write letters much anymore but hopefully I'll find a use for it. 

Now onto my June Birchbox which I just received this weekend. Finally getting caught up!


Each Birchbox seems to have a fun theme and June's is Jetsetter. 

List of products:



Birchbox actually recently started "Birchbox Man" so I think as a tease for that (and in honor of Father's Day as they stated), they included a men's cologne in this month's box. Luckily I have a boyfriend who loves trying new colognes so I was happy with the decision. The cologne they included is John Varvatos, heavy with juniper berries which Gary said he could really smell. The full size runs for $55  for 1.7 oz which is a typical cologne price. 


Fitting with the Jetsetter theme, the non-beauty product bonus this month was a small tili bag, perfect for storing your makeup or toiletries while traveling. These are super cute but probably unnecessary. A regular clear ziplock bag is more affordable. But someone like me would be tempted by taking something boring and making it fun! These come in packs of 12 with 3 different designs for $8.49.


When I opened my June box, I was excited to see another full size product. This Eyeko Fat Eye Stick caught my eye immediately. I quickly became disappointed though when I opened the box. As you can tell in the picture, the eyeshadow stick is melted. When I took the cap off, the entire stick came with it and I was unable to put it back together. I have informed Birchbox of this and am currently awaiting to see if they can replace it. I was looking forward to see what the Old Gold color, one Birchbox describes as metallic with olive undertones, would look like on my eyelids! Hopefully they right this wrong and I can still try it. At $15, this full size product was the best value in this Birchbox for sure.


I'm very curious to try this Likewise Facial Moisturizer. Birchbox describes it as an anti-aging serum, sunscreen and moisturizer all in one! If you follow my blog you may have seen my "Search for the Perfect Moisturizer" series a while back. I want a good moisturizer with an SPF but most ones with an SPF are too thick or smell too much like sunscreen. With this having an SPF 50, I'd be shocked if it wasn't like the others but there's only one way to find out...


These Comodyness Self-Tanning Intensive wipes are another product I'm extra curious about this month. I've heard of self-tanner wipes before but always been afraid to try them. A wipe seems to have a higher risk of streakiness than your hands or a spray, but I don't know for sure. Birchbox says these are a best-seller in Europe and that the formula adjusts to your skin tone which is awesome. At 14.99 for an 8 pack, they're cheaper than going to the tanning bed and a whole lot safer. If they work, maybe I'll become a fan!


The final product in the June box is Stainiac, a lip and cheek stain. As I'm writing this blog, Birchbox's site seems to be down on this one particular product so I don't currently have a further description. Having a rather pink skin tone, I've always been weary of cheek stains. I'm still curious to give it a shot though. Stay tuned...





No comments:

Post a Comment