Thursday, December 23, 2010

On the Tenth Day of Christmas...

On the tenth day of Christmas...bake for your dog! Homemade dog treats make a great gift for your friends and family who have pets. There are tons of recipe books out there for homemade dog biscuits and you can even make a do it yourself kit and include some bone shaped cookie cutters. I personally purchased a "Baking for Your Dog" book as a gift and decided to make one of the recipes to go with the book as a gift. The recipe I chose was "Toby's Tuna Triangles" and it was actually more challenging than it looked.

 Toby's Tuna Triangles
1 can of tuna fish in natural juice
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
9 oz cornflour
5 oz rolled oats
2 oz flour

*My first challenge was actually finding cornflour. After searching two stores, it felt like a lost cause. I went for cornmeal as a substitute and later looked up the difference online. According to a site, the two can be the same depending on where you live.

Drain the tuna in a sieve, then puree it with the oil and the egg in a blender.

*My next challenge was after puree-ing, the mixture was all over the sides of the blender and stuck under the blades. It was hard to salvage much of the puree since there wasn't that much to begin with.

Mix the puree with the other ingredients to make a dough.

*If you notice in the ingredients above, the cornflour, rolled oats, and flour are in oz instead of cups or teaspoons or tablespoons. According to a magnet I have, there are 8 oz in a cup so did one cup of the cornmeal and just guessed on that extra oz. I guessed on the other two and either I over guessed by a lot or wasn't able to salvage enough of the puree to make anything close to a dough. I added an extra egg, some extra olive oil and some water to finally get a dough-like quality.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the baking sheet with baking parchment.

*Not sure if tin foil is a baking parchment but that's what I used.

Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick and cut it into triangles. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Store in a cookie tin. The triangles will keep for about 2 weeks.

*I don't really have the supplies to roll out dough such as a rolling pin or mat. I opted for an easier "ball" format. I just rolled the dough into balls and lined them on the tin foil lined cookie sheet. I baked them for about 25 minutes and they actually turned out great. I'm not sure about the taste considering they are dog treats but I will give Chloe one as soon as they cool and see how she likes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment