Thursday, December 23, 2010

On the Eleventh Day of Christmas...

On the eleventh day of Christmas...make Rudolph cupcakes! I'm a sucker for anything cute and baked goods are no exception. When I saw these in a magazine, I just had to make them!

Rudolph Cupcakes

Rudolph Cupcakes
Ingredients:
Use any cupcake recipe, I just used a Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
Use any chocolate icing, I used a Betty Crocker can of chocolate icing
Pretzels
Tootsie roll midges
Red and white m&ms (I used a bag of Christmas mint m&ms that came in red, white and green, the regular Christmas m&ms just come in red and white. You could also buy individual color bags at a craft store but that would have been more expensive)
Mini vanilla wafers
Black gel icing
Icing for adhesive purposes

1. First of all bake the cupcakes, following instructions on the box or your own favorite recipe
2. Allow the cupcakes to cool and then ice them with the chocolate frosting
3. Break pretzels in half and stick them into the cupcakes for the antlers
4. Use 1/3 of a tootsie roll midge to mold each ear
5. Stick on a mini vanilla wafer for the snout
6. Use some icing to stick a red m&m on the wafer for the nose
7. Stick two white m&ms above the wafer for the eyes
8. Dab a dot of black gel icing on each eye for the pupils

*A few notes: These were fun to make but a few things to keep in mind. I bought the cheapest bag of pretzels I could find and making the antlers was a little difficult. Not all pretzels are created equally so I would make sure you're getting a brand that looks most antler like when broken in half. I worked with what I had but it was difficult. Also, molding the ears was a little bit of a task but I definitely think the cupcakes look better with the ears than without. All together it cost about $20 to get all of the supplies to make these but I of course have tons of leftovers of basically everything except the cake mix. I even have half a jar of icing leftover. These were a lot of fun to make and would be a great thing to make with your kids. They also make a cute addition to a Christmas party or on the dessert table at your family dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment