Thursday, October 22, 2009

Delicious Tastes of Fall Uno Style

Fall is most definitely my favorite time of year. I've always loved the sights, sounds and feel of autumn but most importantly, the tastes! A beautiful fall day is my favorite kind of weather, crisp cool air, you're comfortable in a light jacket or hoddie and jeans, and you're surrounded by beautiful leaves, Hokie maroon and orange with specs of bright happy yellow. Now as for tastes, think cranberry apple cider, pumpkins, avacadoes and sunshine. Ok so maybe the sunshine part applies to a summer beer leftover that I happened to get the last glass of along with my fall tastes but don't those items all sound so magical together?

So Uno has a seasonal menu cleverly titled "We're Fall of Suprises" that has some tasty looking options. I picked the two that reminded me the most of my favorite season and also just sounded the most delicious.

The first was the Kobacha Pumpkin Soup which is made from Kobacha Pumpkin Squash which apparently is a rare treat, Uno describes it as a combination of pumpkin and sweet potato, mmmm! It is also topped with sweetened dried cranberries which are a favorite of mine! You know there are certain additions to meals that you just love and are tempted to try it just because of them? Mine are things like tomatoes, spinach, olives, dried cranberries, artichokes, lobster and crabmeat. If you put any one of those things on anything, I will most likely be intrigued! Anyways, this soup did not disappoint! It was just as good as it sounds, it was warm and sweet and reminded me of sitting in a pumpkin patch on a chilly fall day!

The other dish I tried were the Avacado Egg Rolls. I'm just going to cite Uno's exact description of this one because it definitely does them justice. "We dice fresh avocado, add sun-dried tomatoes, red onion, cilantro and lime juice and wrap it in an egg roll. It comes with our own tangy/sweet tamarind cashew dipping sauce seasoned with vinegar, honey and cilantro." (Uno Chicago Grill Menu) I am a big fan of the idea of egg rolls and often crave them, however, I often feel that within the crispy egg roll shell, the inner workings tend to me nothing more than questionable mush. These ones however are the complete opposite of what you would expect from an egg roll. All the toppings listed in the description are as fresh and crisp as you imagine and work together to make something that can only be described as happy! My only complaint was that they were a little pricey to only receive 4, I was expecting 6 as they were $7 or $8 but they were so good that I wasn't even mad! Just disappointed that they were gone so quickly.

Finally, in case you were wondering about the cranberry apple cider, fear not! I did not forget about this fall favorite! I am honestly not sure if they have this on their menu, but as we were leaving the restaurant, I was drawn to the front counter where they had a lovely display of fall's favorite fruit piled high next to a hot pot of what was labeled "Ocean Spray Cranberry Apple Cider" After inquiring if it was complimentary, I was filled with glee to find out that it was and excitedly ladeled a cup full for the ride home. It was a chilly, breezy night and the warmth of the cup in my hand was worth it alone just for the walk to the car. However, I was further pleased when I actually tried the unique cranberry twist on the fall classic. The flavors paired together wonderfully and again made me feel like I was sipping it while picking out my pumpkin, taking a hay ride or walking through a corn maze: all excellent autumn activites!

I'm not a food critic nor do I have any real experience on writing reviews for anything, but I am a human being who has thoughts, ideas and opinions just like everyone else and I'm just one of the annoying ones who thinks that other people might actually care what I have to say :-) Or maybe I know that no one cares but I am just going to write it anyways and take up space on the internet! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment